Position Title: Advocacy and Media Officer
Unit: Advocacy Unit
Contract Period: 12-months full time contract (probation review: 1-month part time contract)
Location: Beirut, Lebanon (with possibility of remote work from home)
Access Center for Human Rights (ACHR) works towards guaranteeing the right to human dignity for refugees and the arbitrarily detainees in several countries, starting in Lebanon. ACHR also aspires to expand their work to refugees in other countries. building on the principle of personal security, dignified living and shelter, and the freedom of mobility.
It also prioritizes the promotion of equity in a dignified work and the freedom of thought and expression, through providing legal support and representation to defend refugees causes. Monitoring and documenting violations, as well as mobilizing local and international public opinion around those violations. refer these violations legally to the international legal entities to build a culture of protection and value towards the rights of refugees and guarantee their freedom in pursuing their needs.
About the Position
ACHR seeks to recruit an Advocacy and Media Officer for the center. The advocacy and media officer will provide overall, strategic communication needs of the organization and direct support and contribution to its advocacy plans based on the publication and content released from the Monitoring and Documentation Unit.
The Advocacy and Media officer will be responsible to establish and manage an effective and wide-ranging program of advocacy, communication and information sharing in order to make progress towards the achievement ACHR’s objectives. She/he will be responsible to organize the activities of the organization. Primary focus is on seminars, conferences, some specific campaigns and liaison with research programs and networking.
She or He will directly report to ACHR’s Programs Manager and working under the overall supervision of the Executive Director; in addition to technically work very closely with the M&D team on technical/program-specific advocacy and communications initiatives.
Scope of Work
The scope of work of this position includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
• Managing and utilizing ACHR’s communication assets (webpage, e-newsletter, Facebook page, etc) to enable strategic and effective communication and circulation of all ACHR released content.
• Writing/copyediting press releases, news articles and content marketing for ACHR’s newsletter and website as well as external media/news outlet
• Assisting in creating visual products based on text-based knowledge products and other strategic evidence (i.e., infographic, videos, etc)
• Contributing to planning and organizing advocacy campaigns with our partners on violations against Syrian refugees in Lebanon;
• Helping out our team in arranging meetings with national decision makers to echo policy recommendations;
• Supporting in production of press releases and statements about the organization’s work and its stance with respect to situations witnessed regarding refugees;
• Working with the team on networking, lobbying and representing the organization in a wide range of policy issues at events, conventions and media opportunities.
• Coordinating with media outlets which covers our latest activities and releases;
• Contributing through publications such as flyers and booklets to raising awareness among refugees on legal support;
• Backing up the organization advocacy delegations to advocate on high-level with local and international actors.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
• A university degree in media studies or related fields; the degree may not be required if applicant has demonstrated that he/she has extensive experience in media work and advocacy.
• Demonstrated high proficiency in Arabic (reading, writing and speaking) and fluency in English is required;
• At least two years’ work experience in a similar job position or media work with media outlets and/or NGOs.
• Strong digital and offline marketing skills .
• Strong organizational and programmatic skills .
• Able to take initiative and work well independently and as part of a team.
• Remote management skills.
• Experience in the field of advocacy.
• Coordination skills, problem solving, and flexibility in dealing with the team “very important”.“.
• Fluency in managing social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) • and other related supporting applications, including their analytic platforms.
• Experience in video editing and deign “desirable” .
• Fluency in managing and maintaining WordPress-based website, including basic knowledge of HTML language.
• The possibility of working outside office hours “important”
• The possibility of frequent travel outside Lebanon.
• The possibility of working under pressure. “important”
• Accuracy and digital content management.
• Proficiency in drafting content in both Arabic and English.
• Access to media coverage of urgent reports and campaigns.
• The ability to develop and adhere to an action plan.
• Periodic reports that are submitted to the supervising manager.
Possibility to start on August 5, 2020
• Please send the application to firstname.lastname@example.org entitled: “Advocacy Officer/Applicant Name”;
• Attach 1-page cover letter in Arabic;
• Please add contact information (name, email and phone number) of two referees;
• Only completed applications will be considered and contacted;
• Application deadline is July 26, 2020. Any application submitted later will not be considered.